Pastor Al Martin from Trinity Baptist Church in Montville, NJ — Arif and Kathy Khan’s home church — has preached four sermons in response to the Khan’s murder. You find them here on SermonAudio.com. The titles:
- The Murder of the Khans Part 1: The Ultimate Cause
- The Murder of the Khans Part 2: Some Righteous Responses
- The Murder of the Khans Part 3: What Compelled Them to Go to Pakistan? Part 1
- The Murder of the Khans Part 4: What Compelled Them to Go to Pakistan? Part 2
You can listen to them as streaming audio or download them to listen whenever you want. I’ve made it through the first sermon so far — it was excellent. He opened up three things about our world that led to the Khan’s death:
- Ours is a sinfully disrupted world.
- Ours is a spiritually divided world.
- Ours is a sovereignly determined world.
It’s a wonderful thing to listen to a pastor nearing the end of his ministry as he brings all of his vast experience and wisdom to bear on a particularly difficult circumstance. He knows exactly what to say and how to say it. He made one point at the end that stood out: people today want fluff when they go to church. They want something light, something easy. But that doesn’t help you when trials come, when you find out about the cancer, when you hear about the deaths. Your bedrock then will be the theology that you’ve learned, the passages in the Bible that have preached to you over and over. Fluff won’t cut it, as he said.
I haven’t listened to Pastor Martin much over the last few years, but just hearing his voice brings back lots of good memories of summer family conferences. Check the messages out. They’ll be good for your soul.